Dr Giamila Quattrone is a Lecturer in Architecture at the Liverpool School of Architecture.
Dr Giamila Quattrone
Giamila holds a PhD in Architectural Technology and a Master’s in Architecture from Università degli Studi Mediterranea di Reggio Calabria. She is recipient of the 2014 Endeavour Research Fellowship, 2006 Endeavour Europe Award and 2005 Wendell Lovett Award.
Giamila teaches Architectural Technology and Design Studio, supervises MArch dissertations as well as PhD theses. Prior to her current appointment she held various academic positions including Research Fellow at Nottingham Trent University, Associate Lecturer at Manchester Metropolitan Architecture and Università degli Studi Mediterranea di Reggio Calabria.
Her current research revolves around three main areas: settlement, architectural and construction patterns of the traditional oasis settlements of Oman and Maghreb, with a focus on their spatial and technological transformation as a result of socio-cultural and economic change; the work of Australian Architect Glenn Murcutt; sustainable building adaptive reuse.
Giamila is registered with the Italian Institute of Architects, Reggio Calabria Chapter, and listed on the registers of Subject Specialists in Architecture at Alghero, Italy. She is a member of the Technology and Environment Teaching and Research Network, as part of which she has delivered in the past guest lectures at Lincoln University. Giamila is also part of Australia Global Alumni, Australian Government.
Research, scholarly and professional interests
- Low-tech building envelope and eco-friendly materials
- Architectural and urban recycling
- Contemporary regionalist architecture, with a focus on the relationship between settlement patterns and appropriate technologies, human behaviours and the built environment, innovation and tradition
- University of Liverpool
- Nottingham Trent University
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- The University of New South Wales
- The University of Newcastle Australia
- Universita’ degli Studi Mediterranea di Reggio Calabria
Areas of expertise
- Architectural Technology
- Heritage Documentation and Management