Restoration, Recording and Documentation of Earthen Architectural Heritage Workshop Mhamid Oasis, South Morocco
The ArCHIAM team is continuing the collaboration with Terrachidia, by taking part in this year’s workshop Restoration, Recording and Documentation of Earthen Architectural Heritage which will take place between 10-18 February in Ouled Youssef, M’Hamid, Morocco.
ArCHIAM members will be training participants in documentation methods for vernacular earthen settlements and give talks in heritage development principles and approaches, and participatory design strategies and methods.
Practical approach to traditional architecture and building techniques (rammed earth, mud bricks, mud renderings and straw-roofing), theoretically underpinned by lectures.
• Restoration of a community building in the M’Hamid Oasis as a way to promote architectural and cultural heritage as a motor for local development
• Workshop on traditional lime based plastering (tadelakt)
• Training in heritage recording and documentation
• Lectures on M’Hamid Oasis, earthen architecture, heritage documentation and analysis, heritage development strategies and methods
• Socio-cultural activities involving the local community
• Learn the traditional building techniques, their associated crafts and the use of tadelakt directly from local masters
• Understand the conditions and context of heritage sites in M’hamid
• Live and work along with local people, thus contributing to the sustainable development of this remote place
• Experience the region, its culture and people, and promote cultural exchanges